Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Running 12 miles

In response to a comment, here's how 12 miles felt like:

Mile 1 - (7:50 a.m. Sunday) Ahh, 12 miles...shouldnt be much of a hassle......after all, im training really hard!! I should be able to run 12 miles....whats that little sharp shooting pain in the left shin? Ahh, nothing that I cant cope with!!
Mile 2 - Going strong.....never felt better, the shin's not paining now........feels so nice to run......theres the first water point!!!
Mile 3,4,5 - Still going strong......thinking - "The formula1 race must have begun......wonder whose winning......wonder how schumacher started from his first pole of the season....what the hell am I doing here???"
Mile 6 - AHA! Water-point 2, with Gatorade!! Hey blue colored liquid never looked so inviting, so delicious, so desirable......( I turn back at this point, to run back 6 miles)
Mile 7 - Whens the next water point?? Whens the next water point??
Mile 8 - Not too bad, 8 miles in 85 mins.....good pace, but better keep going at the same speed........water point in 2 more miles.....must reach there.......
Mile 9 - "Cmon Aditya, you can do this.....you must do this!!"
Mile 10 - Do I see the water-point?? Hey, the water-point's not too far from here......THERE IT IS!!!!!!!
Mile 11 - There's that little pain in the shin again....seems like its growing up really fast!! I seem to have developed new muscles in the last 10 miles.......or did I always have them? Why didnt they pain earlier??? Keep going....save yourself for the last mile.....
Mile 12 - Finally......I can speed up now........must set myself a time......must reach the finish at 10.00!!...........Is the last mile longer than the others????.......Theres the finish!! AT LAST!!!! Its 10:00 a.m. on the dot...I have actually managed to run the last mile faster than the 10th and the 11th!!! That gives me a 10.8 mins/mile speed, which is faster than my first 10 mile run, and at par with my second 10 mile run!


Running long distance is actually not too bad....there are times during the runs when I feel like quitting.....or walking for a bit..........but something inside just keeps me going.....at some stages I even set myself shorter goals......the next big tree, the next bridge etc etc......and keep adjusting these goals once I reach them!!:) Being someone who has not really been physically avtice for the last 'n' years, telling myself to keep on going seems harder to do than actually running!! Running seems to be more of a mental thing after a while, rather than physical!
I just want to keep going this way, till I finish my 26.2 miles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha =)).....and its a good thing you werent getting updates on the f1 race while running...kimi and mclaren beat the hell out of schumi and ferrari !! that could have reduced your speed if not completely demoralized ! ;) this mile by mile log was really funny !