Sunday, August 14, 2005

HOT HOT HOT!!

This weekend has been one of the hottest weekends this summer. On saturday, I went for my 4 mile run at (ahem!!) 10 in the morning. It was the biggest mistake I could have made. The worst run, ever since training began. It was hot, humid and extremely difficult.
I topped that on Sunday. It was my first scheduled 13 miler. What a day to have that! It was around 85F at 6 o'clock in the morning, humid beyond imgaination. It was like Mumbai, the air was so thick that you could almost see it. When we started the run,the temp was something like 36 deg celcius, all of us knew this was gonna be the tough one! But nobody had anticipated the kind of sweating that was happening. Water every 2 miles....was an absolute need. At 3.5 miles from the finish point, three of us doing 13 miles, turned back to go half a mile, to get that odd 13th mile done. We hoped that the water point at 4 miles out was still there, but he wasnt!! So it was three miles, without any water, till we reach the water point 2 miles from finish. I dont know how we got there!!
But the worst was yet to come. The last 2 miles do not have many trees, so at 10:00 a.m. the sun was out, it had become really really brutal! This was the first time I had to walk during the run. Walked for a couple of minutes, before I could get runnign again!
It was brutal, brutal, brutal!! Hope we dont need to go through another run like this!
Today, it took us 2 hours and 40 minutes to run 13 miles!!! Way too much than I had anticipated, but I am happy I could finish the run!!

2 comments:

TriGeeky said...

This is cool! when is the marathon?

PS said...

In that weather the very fact that you could run 13 miles is amazing. Most of us gave up after lesser distances, I stopped at 10 :)
I'm sure 13 in that weather is equivalent to 15 in better weather!